• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#61 lizb

lizb

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:24 AM

Hello

I am the mom of a Transgender 14 yr old FTM. Thank you for this site and the support. As a mom, I am trying to be as supportive as I can be. We began this journey approximately a year ago and have the support of a great LGBT center here in NY. Our benefit from this center is 2 fold - my child has a safe and supportive team on their side and we have a better relationship. However, I am a firm believer in no support is too much support. It is no coincidence that the documentary was shown this week on the OWN network.
Thank You Chaz for sharing your story - I have a better understanding of my child and with that understanding I can be a better support.
God Bless!

#62 kerrianne

kerrianne

Contributer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Locationnear Vancouver, BC Canada

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:57 PM

Hi Chaz. I will post a proper intro for everyone else on a new thread. I just wanted to thank you and Jenny for being such wonderful, down to earth, forgiving and compassionate voices for trans people everywhere. As my partner and I watched you and Jenny on Piers Morgan tonight we felt a real connection and recognition of where both your journeys have taken you. My partner of 26 years has stuck with me through everything, and some of the things Jenny was saying are exactly what I heard Carol say. They have other shared experience too that I won't get into here. My partner is quite isolated and we have had trouble finding other couples to talk to. So many couples do not survive these changes but I have noticed the ones that do have that amazing love, commitment and ....sense of adventure, really, as you and Jenny seem to have. It is a wonderful thing to see, and I am so glad you two have been willing to show people how real this is and how love rocks! :D ~ Kerrianne :)

#63 mjblackburn

mjblackburn

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:47 AM

Hey Chaz...I hear you say you wish you would not have missed being a young man. To me you are a young man. I am 65 and just starting transition. So to have those 25 years between us would be priceless to me. It seems strange that I got my medicare and manhood at the same time. lol... Whenever it happened, the important thing is we are ourselves NOW. You will get a chuckle out of this...my 63 year old partner tells me: "Don't stop taking that "wake up" medicine"...refering to the t and the benefit of the increased sex drive. Have a great week and welcome to life! mj

#64 andee

andee

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to take a minute to personally welcome you to the new community forum section of my website. I want to create a place where trans people and our allies could come together to share experiences, information and ideas. Being transgender or loving someone who is transgender can be challenging in our society and I hope that members of this site will also use this space as a place to support and encourage each other. Together, we can strengthen our community and open the hearts and minds of others.

-Chaz

Thanks, Chaz, for being YOU and having the courage and love to help us all.

#65 bornstud

bornstud

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

Hey Chaz,

Wishing you much happiness,

#66 PeterPaul

PeterPaul

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:08 AM

I saw Chaz on the KTLA news today and it was as if she were speaking my emotions. I have known most of my life that I should be male but I will never be able to do the transition due to age, finances, and circumstances. Peter Paul is the nickname my father always called me and that is why I chose it for here. I just wanted to say bless you Chaz, you sir are a true inspiration.

#67 Zenith

Zenith

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

My mom sent me a link to your forum. Thanks for everything you are doing, Chaz!

#68 ivorytower

ivorytower

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

Chaz, I watched your documentary and have seen you on every talk show in the last few days. I'm a straight women and found you very informative. You got me straightened out, now I understand it all. I wish you all the happiness in the world. Your Mom should be very proud of you and herself for raising such a nice person. I had to join this forum just so that I could tell you that.

#69 mjblackburn

mjblackburn

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

Fred, Good interview on Joy Behar tonight. Will be watching Dr. Drew tomorrow. Keep it goin kid.
MJBlackburn

#70 alf

alf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:54 AM

I would like to say,thank you for doing what you are doing. I have been in the GLBT family for 171/2 years. I have been with my partner for 15yrs,and we have 2 kids togetther. One of them is FTM he told us at the age of 7 and now he is 11. In finding out everything that we could to help him to be himself I am now trying to find out about my self. I don't want to lose my partner. I think my kids are young and can get through it ok,my other one is 7. I do have one that is older but does not stay with us. I would to get some words of help from others. We try to go to the trans conferance to help with any ? that we my have and can't get anywhere.PA has a god one to go to ang it is June 2,3,4 this year.

#71 PS4JAdE

PS4JAdE

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

HI Chaz~ Im JAdE (les from Palm Springs ) Just here to Congratulate you on how well you've handled this massive circuit interview process. ALL the while dealing what is probably 1 of THE MOST significant times of your life. Thanks for sharing your reality with the rest of us. YOU look so happy & that's AWESOME!

#72 Gamin

Gamin

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

Chaz I can't begin to tell you how much I admire you. I am an older trans fm. I have yet to take the baby steps to transitioning. Telling my family, the surgeries, and the cost, are all very scary. I hope reading about your and others experiences will convince me of what is best for me.
Thank you!

#73 lala

lala

• Validating
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:41 AM

Just watched the documentary on OWN last night that I had to record (because my husband was watching Swamp People when it was on Friday) I LOVED it! It was so candid, you held nothing back. I am a straight woman, but very open minded. I love the diversity in people. Kudos on what you're doing so publicly, but it just takes one brave man like yourself to get the ball rolling so other people can learn what they may have been too scared to ask. Congrats on everything you've done so far and best wishes on what's to come for you!! :D

#74 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

Hi! New to this. Know I was different at an early age. When my mom would put dresses on me I would rip them. Had my first girlfriend in third grade. She would stand behind me in P.E. and pinch me on the butt and call me her boyfriend. I loved every minute of it. Kissed my 1st girl in 5th grade @ made out the 1st time in 6th grade. I was mistaken as a guy alot growing up @ still am. In middle of 6th grade parents moved us to a small country town @ I went into a shell. Ended up getting married for 7 months hated it. Got divorced moved back to Dallas to find myself again. Partying alot, 1 nite stands @ a couple of horrible relationships later I decided I wanted a kid. Slept with a gay male friend @ have a 17 yr old son now. Glad I did it he is an awesome kid, but I'm 48 @ I'm ready to be me. I want to transition because I feel like I pretty much have lived as a guy most of my life. Need some help on how to get started. I live in Dallas, I'm a mail carrier @ I ride a Harley so I'm one of the guys at work. Already throw the ideal out to them @ there cool with it. My Dad @ brother will probably big my biggest fear. Most friends I asked are cool @ so is my gal. Any advice @ hook-up to the right people to talk to would be great. Thanks!!!

#75 elijahwinnipeg

elijahwinnipeg

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

Hey Chaz,

How are things? I have to say it was one day approx. a month ago I turned on the tube and started watching you on Oprah. I was so amazed but also in shock when you spoke about the feeling you experienced growing up as a little girl and into a woman not feeling complete or something missing, I said this is how I felt, as well feel to this day. At that very moment I dialed my mother and told her to turn on the television to Oprah, she said she was already watching. I said to her "Mom, doesn't Chaz remind you of me"? The example I provided to my mother was when it would be a huge fuss having to wear a dress (having major tantrums when I was forced to wear them); being told as a young child to put my t-shirt back on when I was outside (feeling why it was a big issue to cover my body in the first place); wishing as a little child I was born a boy to this day wishing I was a man; hating the fact I had to enter the female washroom and be told by a complete stranger "excuse me sir you're in the wrong washroom". Other things that upset me was when I would be tossed a barbie doll when I much rather play with transformers, or outside in the dirt, lossing privileges because all my allowence went to been eaten up by the arcade machine and to this day being a huge gamer of COD. Having people stare in my direction when I would walk masculine looking and not dressing or acting ladylike.

After watching Oprah that day and hearing you were coming out with a new book I picked up the telephone and dialed Chapters, asking them when exactly the book would be available, in two days they said whiched seemed more like forever having to wait since I had to have it mailed to me due to the fact Chapters is not available where I live. Finally....I receive it and immediately began reading it (during one reading my coworker asked me what I was reading and I told her she said "why would you want to read that, I said because it interests me") and today I finished it and said to myself what an amazing book as well what an amazing strong individual you are to come out not once by twice now to the world. From beginning to end there are so many things you write about which I say to myself this is exactly how I feel.

I have a friend FTM who just recently transitioned, I asked him questioned such as, when did your voice change, where would you go in Winnipeg, Manitoba to get this done and so on and so on. He said all his couseling occurred at Klinc, he also said he got to stay in the city to have top surgery. I then asked if he has bottom surgery done as of yet, which he said no because its still like a ginny pig situation and can be risky. He said to me I have always felt you were trans but just sat back and waited if I would ever come out. I have come out 15 years ago as a lesbian to my whole family and friends, as well I am not shy to speak out if someone asks if I am, but really I do feel like I am still not my complete self. I have let it be known to some friends I have been thinking I am transgender and if so how they would be feel about this. My friends said to me if you are then that is cool with us, as well my sisters have kinda asked me if I have ever wanted to be a boy/man to which I said yes. They to have said if I were to ever transition they would accept me with open arms and finally be able to call me their brother just not like in a teasing manner.

The only person I would be worried to let it be known to would be my father, he seemed to have a harder time dealing with me coming out as a lesbian bur I gave him his space and gave him his time to grieve and finally come around, I just don't know how he would feel or deal with this if I were to come out as transgender. Any suggestions from readers as to how to come out to a parent without losing them?

Elijah

#76 AirDisa

AirDisa

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

Hello Chaz and everyone,

I was very grateful to meet you in person in Chicago last month. I have since read my signed copy of Transition. I have greater understanding of your personal story - thanks for sharing so much! We discussed music briefly, and while I've not played in 15 years, I decided (after our discussion) to go aead and pick up where I left off.

A special thanks for the inspiration to play again! I hope to continue it and evolve something fun out of the Chicago music scene. I have caught the ear of a LA producer already, which is exciting. Somewhere along the way, I would like to contribute time and energy to help transgender youth like you do. I've done so with troubled straight kids in the past, and now hope to help more specifically in the area of transgender.

Best wishes,
Disa Johnson
Professional Guitarist
Fashion Stylist to Transgender Men and Women

#77 raven1957

raven1957

Contributer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:58 AM

I am very happy for you Mr. Bono because U have finally found ur voice and your peace of mind. I am still struggling a bit just recently I contacted an Equailty Laywers to see if we can sue my insurance company for discrimination. It is unfortunately, the only way to briing attention to the unfair closed minds of the bigots they hire to look over claims which they reject. I understand from my lawyer that they r fighting a case of a trans woman who has cancer and due to her name change or something the insurance company will not pay for her treatments... we r dealing with a very underhand race of people who R heading up these companies and hopefully every lawyer in the nation will eventually see not only is there a fortune to be made here in law suites but it is the right thing to stand on the side of wiping out discrimination. ALL kinds not just for Trans and gays... although we on this site and many others r working for OUR cause... I pray for everyone gay trans and otherwise... that we find peace, and justice in our own country during our life time. We must remember to support one and other and don't sit back and expect someone else to get out there and fight R battle. Especially many still hiding in the closet. We need you to stand up, stand out - and be counted otherwise we appear to be even a smaller group. Thanks everyone... God help and bless R cause and R soliders on the front lines of this battle for Equality and civil rights. AMEN! :lol:

#78 RomanAlexander

RomanAlexander

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:12 PM

Thank you so much for being a great representation of the trans community to the public. And thank you for the warm welcome!
My name's Roman, I'm 17 years old and an ftm who is out to their mom, but no other family member as trans, but openly identifying as a lesbian until I have the means to transition. I'm still in high school, love art in all its forms, music (especially any kind of metal \m/._. ) Oscar Wilde is my hero and I'm a vegetarian who loves all things involving Tim Burton.
Just a little bit about me ^.^

#79 4770set

4770set

Contributer

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:06 AM

Hey , Iam a 42 year old pre-everything ftm and coming out to a famiy who has only known you as a pretty sweet girl is very difficult. Some times I am just filled with rage but Im realizing a lot is toward myself for not being more honest with myself and not being true to myself for so long.I admire you Chaz - you give me courage and I think you can relate dealing with it at such an older age. Its hard to meet older trans men and am trying to form a trans meeting in westcheter New York. Anyone interested please contact realityck73@yahoo.com. Peace out to all my brothers and sisters. :D

#80 loveislove

loveislove

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

I hope that my posting name makes my position Clear. And so you do not have to look for it, Its love is love.

First a bit about me I am pretty much a very Heterosexual Male that is happy to be the gender that I am. Also while technically I am an independent I am pretty conservative on a great number of issues. ::: the audience gasps!:::: I am college educated with a dual degree focus in philosophy and clinical psychology. And I am a former marine. ::: crowd gasps again as I am not painting a pretty stereotypic picture of myself::: Last but not least I am a Christian though not what one would call an evangelical one. In other words I have no problem with Darwin on religious grounds, I am neither anti-gay, nor am I anti-transexual in any form. And yet I do believe that Christianity need not be watered down nor inconsistent to be compatible with my point of view on the specific sexual and gender orientation positions I listed above. And while I believe in my faith over other faiths, I also for reasons way to esoteric and philosophic to get into here have no issue with people of other faiths. In particular those whose primary basis is love, Decency, and a connection to a higher guiding divine source that is in essence ineffable and not possible to ever be completely defined by any use of words, or human symbolic medium of any kind but it can be experienced and heard in our intuition as we live our life in the impulse that come to use to give our lives shape, meaning and purpose. So to simplify it even more I am down with any religious faith that is about love in the biggest sense of the word and is about giving a purpose an ultimate ground for purpose, values and meaning.

Or to quote one of my favorite books the Tao Te Ching. Tao (God) is how and it cannot be perfectly or completely defined by any human means, If you are talking about it (God, tao, or the underlying how of all things) just remember you are not ever fully capturing it. Tao (God) is how, the principle of how when and where all manifests and unfolds, Tao (God) is not the cosmos or creation. Tao (God) is the ultimate ground of form and principle that on which all of creation springs forth from, manifests and unfolds. Tao (or God) is the uncaused cause, and the Cosmos is manifestation of change that spring forth from Tao (or God) that is all there is principle (God) and creation. The Tao (or God) that is the inspirational and governing force of all and there is the creation itself, an active ever changing manifestation of the Tao (or god). Ok enough broad lyrical sermonizing from me on how I see the truth in the Tao Te Ching as a better way to separate out discussions of God from that of the world. And for those wondering why am I getting so deep in my first post, I just want to be clear on the grounds of my belief in a very precise way so that people can understand who I am and how I think since on the surface I might set off a whole bunch of stereotype alarms. A conservative straight marine on a Gay, Lesbian, and transexual message board. what is he here for and when is he going to start acting the fool and lashing out at folks? Well my answer is nothing. Though I will enjoy being a resource for folk who would like to understand what it is that other even more conservative folks than I am think about things that might make them uncomfortable about some of the issues shared by many of the people on this message board. While I will not agree with them I can perhaps humanize and explain some of their positions as well as where it is that I turned right when they turned left in our chain of beliefs that allows me to agree with you all on so many issues and at the same time agree with that group of people on other matters. Not that this is that shocking, there have been some people ready to toe a party line I would not in groups like the log cabin republicans and what not. If I had a goal in being here it would be to make friend and learn what it is like to be an individual in various ages stages and places as a person who is struggling with socially and politically hot button issues that are also very intimately involved with your perception of your own identity as well as the feelings that go with. I personally find it painful how acrimonious this battle has become for all involved and would like to help to be part of the process that could perhaps give people a place of harmony to meet and become unified about. Another big reason I am here is to help those who do not want to throw off a connection to the divine and ineffable but feel that in many of the forms of organized religion today, you are put in a choice to to deny yourself, or your connection to god something I find particularly awful and damaging people who are part of this community. It is also a great loss to those who are in faith based communities that have not worked to make a good place of belonging for those who would love to be a part of an organized faith but rightly refuse to deny who they are. I am not a minister and I am not here to preach to anyone I am just here to be a part of the community. Mainly on a digital plane because I am working though some medical issues that are can some times limit what and when I can do things. But I hope that I will be embraced by all and I hope that as trust build that perhaps I can be a catalyst for many interesting, useful and fun discussions.

Ok so here is to the world most serious and long winded introduction ever! For those who get to know me it may be a bit awkward to call me Love is love, so you can just call me Rob.

First an foremost you can think of me as someone to talk to who while being totally supportive of this community and all of it members having full rights. But I am not someone that thinks everything that that is in a traditional point of view is ignorant and useless and if you would like to engage me, in frank BUT FRIENDLY and respectful conversation about points of view that you might not get from others here than I am at your service. In the mean time I am am grateful and appreciative to Chaz that this is a forum that is open to all who are supportive to the various communities this board serves.

Be well all, Bye for now, Love is love - Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users