#1 DaltonCT

DaltonCT

Contributer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

Hi Guys,

I've wondered how Transpeople fare or will fare in a natural or a man-made catrastrophe?

I'm not trying to shake anyone up, but for those of us who are and have been stuck in transition with little hope of coming up with money for surgeries, discovery of our body parts being a mix and match is a concern. If we had to group up with others to whom we pass with, bathing, injury treatment and other things would come into play.

I'm wondering how well we could hide from others in a survival scenario or if there are any guys out there that have dealt with this situation. And spouse/significant others as well.

I'm living in an area with no FTM support groups. I wonder what my gg wife and I would do if we had an earthquake or something here. I'm 50, on disability and started transitioning in 1998, (hormones, paperwork done, but no surgeries). I feel like I'm frozen in time, minus getting older.

I wonder how secure creating our own survival community or hotline or something would be.

Chaz, if you're popping in, I'd love your ideas on this. If anybody is a survivor and brave, it's you.

Thanks for your ideas and support on this crutial and serious subject. We need to team together. :ph34r:

Bob, The Utilities Guy | Save Money on Your Utility Bills and Feed Starving Children

#2 juniperblue

juniperblue

Oratarian

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

Hey Dalton,

I think that emergency preparedness is important for anyone but especially for minorities and low income individuals ( look at Katrina/New Orleans).

Growing up in California, my partner and I have been through a few quakes and we stock emergency supplies just in case there is a BIG ONE. We have water purification devices, stored water and food, emergency radio and wind-up flashlights. We both have some medical training although I admit, we need better medical supplies .. we are going to need more than band-aides and hand sanitizer if something serious happens.

What to do in a major catastrophe to protect against discrimination? So hard to say ... a trans person's odds might be better if they lived in or near a progressive community like San Francisco. Of course, S.F. might not be an ideal place to live if you are concerned with earthquakes ... hmmm .... you got me.

One thing that you may consider is starting a neighborhood Emergency Preparedness group. I am androgynous and not on T and my issues are different in many ways than those of a transman. However, there are some parallels in that I am viewed as a very masculine Lesbian by most of the people who get to know me on a superficial level. My community is moderately conservative and I absolutely deal with discrimination and homophobia on a regular basis. I have managed it by being very visible in my community and by leading different humanitarian projects. For instance, years ago, at our local community college, I lead the Amnesty International and we facilitated an Alliance when the Muslim Student Association was begin harassed after 911. We brought in the Gay Straight Alliance and the three clubs worked together to create a Safe Zone on campus. The team raised awareness and improved the environment on campus tremendously.

I have done all kinds of projects like this and I still am very engaged in my community. I try to reach out to my neighbors, especially those who I know are afraid of me. LOL. It seems to help. Now, will it matter is we have a catastrophe' ... probably if I am the only one with a water purifier and an emergency radio. :)

Best,
- J

#3 misha

misha

Contributer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTemple Texas (hell)

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

When I lived in Hawaii we had lots of earthquakes. Also hurricanes and tsunamis. but a few little earthquakes a week. We were without power atleast once a month. ,Once after a 6.9 earthquake we had no power, water, food or electricity. What everone has done is keep food or canned food, MRIs and water in plastic jugs and packages of antibacerial wipes and flashlights, and many people have a backpack already packed to run to higher ground because anywhere that gets an earthquake, we get the tsunami. I've lived through tsunamis that wiped away the contents of my third floor apartment a mile from the ocean. FEMA and Red Cross never makes it to us, so we lean on each other. The really cool thing was when we had a major earthquake of 6.9, there was no looting. In major cities, if so much as a big rain comes, people turn into animals and loot and rape and rob. When your population is three quarters Asian, people are more law abiding. They are not breaking into ER's to get dilaudid like they do on the mainland. Another thing is in Hawaii, we do not have guns. I moved to Texas 6 months ago and everyone has an elevated blood alcohol level, a grudge and a gun, and when I lived on the east coast and any power outage occured, people broke store windows and stole luxury goods.They thought of themselves. Survival depends on a group mentality - not a sense of entitlement and greed but helping neighbors (ohana, may it be kamaiana or malahini, people with koko or not) get through a bad situation.

#4 Guest_Ashwag_*

Guest_Ashwag_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:20 AM

#5 Guest_Ashwag_*

Guest_Ashwag_*
  • Guests

#6 Guest_Ashwag_*

Guest_Ashwag_*
  • Guests