#1 juniperblue

juniperblue

Oratarian

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

Hi All,

TRT will probably never be an option for me as I have temporal lobe epilepsy and must be careful because the seizures tend to occur during hormonal shifts. I am also comfortable with my androgynous appearance ( mostly) and so, my benefits to risk ratio favors remaining "gender neutral." Still I enjoy being fit, having a little extra muscle on me and value the health benefits of enhancing my natural T production while lowering excess estrogen.

I started weight lifting when I was 12 and I once bench pressed 185 ... which was 30 pounds more than my body weight at the time. I have always been steroid free, worked as a personal fitness trainer and ( knock on wood) have never had a major injury. I have been able to naturally enhance my own ability to produce T by incorporating dips, push-ups, pull-ups and squats into my work-out routine. Although, I admit, as I get older a "spot" helps now and again. :o)

Many women, and I imagine, many pre-op transmen may discover that they are "estrogen dominant." For those who are pre-op, this can cause uterine fibroids, cystic breasts and weight gain (for all) . Body fat, as many of you know, produces estrogen and so, this can be a vicious cycle.

Estrogen dominance is a very common condition in the United States. For some, it is a genetic disposition but pesticides, plastics, and artificial hormones in our meat and dairy products also contribute to the problem because these chemicals act much like estrogen.

To reduce environmental factors, you may consider following a strictly organic diet. I also avoid storing my food in plastic and do not drink out of plastic. Never heat your food in plastic and never freeze food in plastic as these things cause chemical leaching. I use ceramic, glass or stainless steel for storing and heating my food. (Watch out for old Sigg bottles, they are lined with BPA plastic!!!)

One other possible for factor for high Estrogen levels is too much aramotase enzyme which produces excess estrogen by converting Testosterone to estrogen. Definitely talk to your endocrinologist before considering a Aromatose inhibitor to be sure that it is safe and appropriate for you. There unfortunately, is not much information out there on natural Aromatase Inhibitors and I have no idea if they will be useful to transmen. Actual Aromatose Inhibitors used for Cancer survivors are dangerous ... I do not know if there are risks with natural Aromatase inhibitors and so be very CAUTIOUS and consult, you endocrinologist and you Naturopath, if you have one.

I will share what little I know about natural Aromatase Inhibitors: I use a supplement, Indole 3 Carbinol and DIM (Diindolymethane) to naturally bind excess estrogen. This is derived from cruciferous vegetables, like broccoli. (Broccoli sprouts can be grown at home as an inexpensive alternative to this supplement if you are on a tight budget and you may add, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and cabbage to your diet for the same benefits.) Other natural Aromatase Inhibitors (that I have heard of but know less about) include Camomile ... I believe the name for the active ingredient is Apignenin. Chrysin is also an aromatase inhibitor and it is derived from the herb Passiflora Incarnata (Passion Flower). There is a vitamin supplement that contains all three called Aromastat. Once again, I would ask an endocrinologist before taking Aromastase Inhibitors, even the natural ones, to be sure that they are safe for you personally.

I have a family history of estrogenic cancers and I, as a consequence, am at risk. So, these measures help to counter that issue with the added bonus of helping me to lower my estrogen levels.

On side note: If you must supplement progesterone to counter Estrogen dominance, find a Compounding Pharmacy and go with plant-based, bio-identical hormones whenever possible.

*** Please share your thoughts and contribute anything that you think may be of help. It has been kind of discouraging to not get responses ... I have had only one person reply to my NUMEROUS posts. There has to be more of you out there, so "Man Up" lol ... and don't be shy!

- J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users